Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Another Chocolate Moose in Progress

In addition to watercolors, I also do a lot of colored pencil drawings. Watercolor can be a really fast medium; some paintings I can finish in less that 30 minutes. Colored pencil, on the other hand, is a very slow medium. You build up layers and layers of the colored lead, refining as you go. Large colored pencil drawings sometimes take me a month or more.
This is the latest version of "Chocolate Moose". I have been working on the chocolates for several nights, and finally finished them. I have started on the moose, and decided to let you see it in stages. I start with a light outline, and then begin to layer the lighter underlying colors. Then, the darker colors are layered on top, and I continue to build them up until the desired effect is reached.
I have enjoyed drawing with these pencils for many years. I only use Prismacolors; I know the colors well, and know how they perform. I earned my signature membership in the Colored Pencil Society of America a couple of years ago. It is a fabulous organization that promotes colored pencil artwork, and you can go to their website to view entries from their exhibitions: www.cpsa.org

stay tuned for the completed moose in a couple of days.....

No comments: