Wednesday, September 5, 2007

El Mercado

One of my favorite places is El Mercado(the market) in
downtown San Antonio. It is a covered market similar
to those in Mexico. It has an outdoor plaza, and several
great restaurants. It is pretty touristy now, and sells all
the favorites: paper flowers, pinatas, blown glass, carved
onyx animals and fruit, crosses, embroidered clothing, and
silver jewelry. I love looking at all that stuff, and I always
find something to buy.

I have a whole collection of Mexican nativity sets. They
make pottery ones, metal ones, wooden ones, and some
carved into gourds, brass ones, etc. Every timeI visit the
market, I find another one for my collection.

Another favorite place at El Mercado is the world famous
Mi Tierra restaurant. It is one of the best Mexican food
places in town. It is open 24 hours a day, and has the
most wonderful Mexican bakery. You have to take a number
to be served in the bakery (it is that busy..) but it is always
worth the wait. When people ask me what to see and do
in San Antonio, I always recommend a stop at Mi Tierra's.

This is a painting of the building that houses the restaurant,
and part of the plaza. It is a colorful, bustling place, filled
with music, shopping, and great food.

El Mercado orig watercolor 11 x 14 $150.00 SOLD
http://www.peapatchgallery.com/ sheltongail@hotmail.com

No comments: