Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On the Rocks

What a view! That is me sketching the mountains
and rocks in Big Bend. There is nothing like getting
away, and being an artist full-time. I absolutely
love these precious opportunities. I am grateful
that my husband lets me travel, and takes care of
things while I am away. He totally understands my
need to wander.


These are the people that share my passion for wandering.

The woman right in front of me is Mary Tam, a widow

in her 70's that loves art and enjoys traveling. Linda Loe,

to her left, has taken my painting classes for years, and

has gone with me on all my trips. Next to me is Mary Lee

Coles, Linda's room mate from college (that's how long they
have known each other). She is passionate about learning

all she can; loves art, and has traveled all over the world.

Our trip to Alaska last summer, was her final state; she

has made all 50. I love all these
women; they are such good friends, and we have had some

great times together.

While we were hiking in the canyons and on the trails, I kept
singing the hymn that says, "He hideth my soul in the cleft of
the rock, that shadows a dry thirsty land..." I thought it was so
appropriate for the landscape. This is a sketch of some of those
rocks...

The other song I hummed a lot was "Jesus is a Rock in a weary land...a shelter in the time of storm". And I know He is... I sketched these rocks with the lyrics written with them.

I thank God for the beautiful scenery, and the chance to get to appreciate it.

"Not all who wander are lost."

No comments: