Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wise Pelican

This is a page from my sketchbook from my trip
to Florida. This pelican was hanging around the
airboats in Everglade City. There were several
of them, and some of them would land on the
airboats and ride. This is our Louisiana state
bird, and they are not the most beautiful bird.
But they look kind of wise to me. And since we
were there to celebrate my daughter's master's
degree, I added the quote by William Channing
beside the wise bird:


"...to be worthy, not respectable,
and wealthy, not rich,
to study hard, think quietly, talk gently...
to listen to stars and birds,
to babes and sages with open heart;

to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely,
await occasions, hurry never."

I hope that you can take your time today
to listen, think, and be cheerful!

sheltongail@hotmail.com
Gail H. Shelton artist

No comments: