Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stained Glass Class


When I was in college, I took a stained glass class, and made several windows and pieces for myself and my family. I really enjoyed it, and most of those pieces are still around. I also taught this unit to my high school classes over the years. But since I retired 8 (yes, 8) years ago, I haven't picked up a glass cutter at all.

Our high school started a program a couple of years ago called "Senior Project". I believe it is a national program. Basically, the student must decide to learn some skill, or shadow some professional in order to learn something new that they know nothing about. They must complete a project with the mentor's help, and write a paper describing their journey. I have participated the last two years, teaching beginning drawing to two young students; one completing a self portrait, and the other, a portrait of his home. This year I have just been approached by a young lady who would like to learn how to do stained glass. I told her I would love to. She will have to do the majority of the work however! because my arthritic hands are just not what they used to be. I know I can't push down on the glass cutter anymore...but I believe I can show her how. Anyway, we will give it a try in the spring. I will have to dust off my skills, and get prepared.

sheltongail@hotmail.com

No comments: