Monday, December 20, 2010

Nutcrackers Sweet




I have been collecting nutcrackers for a long
time. They take charge of my dining room
every Christmas. The tall skinny trio stands
guard in the middle of the dining room table.
And that is just a small part of the many
gathered around. And the large single guy came
from New York City on one of my trips there.
I was there with my daughter who was performing
in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. We
bought this nutcracker at Saks Fifth Avenue, and
had to get him in the suitcase...he's about 3 feet
tall!
Speaking of New York, one of our favorite hotels
is the Waldorf. And also, one of my favorite salads.
And since it has nuts in it (walnuts), I thought I
would share my recipe here, so you can fix it this
Christmas!
Waldorf Salad:
3 large crisp red apples
1 1/2 cup celery , chopped fine
1 cup raisens
small bunch of grapes, cut in half
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped

Dressing: equal parts mayonaise and cool whip
You can add other fruit: pineapple, dried cranberries,
mandarin oranges to make it really interesting
And the proportions can be adjusted to your taste.
Enjoy!
gail shelton art

No comments: