Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Name this Flower?



What is It?

This flower grows wild along the

road near my house.

I pass it when I walk

in the evenings. I thought it only

bloomed at night, but yesterday, it was

blooming late in the afternoon. Does

anyone know what kind of plant this

is? The blooms are fascinating....such

symmetry of design, and varying

shapes and textures. I have wanted to

dig it up and move it to the patio...is that

possible? I am asking all these "botany"

questions...I am just the artist interested

in the beauty of it. I know nothing about

the logistics! If anyone out there knows,

please let me know! Thanks!






(my brother, the encyclopedia, will


know!!)

3 comments:

Ann Schindler said...

I think it might be a passion flower.

Lisa and Jason said...

That is a passion vine; botanical name Passiflora incarnata. It is a very common native plant found all over the world. In your area it is a perennial vine, meaning it grows back year after year and yes, you could dig it up or take a cutting and grow it in your yard.

Gail H. Shelton said...

Thanks very much for the info! I think I have heard that name before. I just never knew what one looked like...and now I know! I will try to take a cutting, and see how it grows. At the very least, I am going to paint or draw it soon.