Friday, September 28, 2012

Blue Man Solo


I think I am finally finished with this drawing.  I used some of the
new techniques that I learned at the Colored Pencil convention
this summer.  I used the solvent Gamsol to "melt" the wax in the
pencils to blend together the background.  I also used a colorless blender
for the first time.  Usually when I draw with colored pencils, I do not
burnish them (use a lot of pressure to make a slick surface).  But I wanted the
silk of the costume to look shiny, so I used a white pencil to seal it
over, and the blender to even it out.  Interesting.
And then I used some spray fixative; it is supposed to keep the wax
bloom away.  Wax bloom forms when you do burnish these pencils:
the wax on the paper with come to the surface and cause a white, filmy
look to the drawing.  That is one of the reasons I have never wanted
to burnish the pencils.  Who knew that the fixative would stop that! I
guess you can teach an old dog a new trick!

sheltongail@hotmail.com

(I am sure this is too much technical information for some of you! But you
fellow artists will understand!)

"Blue Man Solo"
Colored Pencil  15 x 22
$800

No comments: