Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hold Your Breath







 
Marine Iguanas

As I look at some of these photos, I can imagine that some people
would have nightmares about these creatures!  These are the famous marine
iguanas of the Galapagos islands.  I took lots of photos of them because there
were lots of them!  They lie out in the sun overnight to warm up, usually all
piled up on top of each other.  And there were all sizes...great big old ones,
and even little baby ones.  They were the same color as the lava, so you really
had to watch your step.  They were very still...never really moving except
to kinda sneeze, to get the salt water out of their nose.

I did get to see one underwater, feeding on the algae growing on a rock.
It was kind of creepy to see him, knowing that he was holding his
breath! Our guide told us that Darwin tied a string to one, and
threw him overboard.  He pulled him
up an hour later, and he was just fine.
He couldn't believe he could stay under that long.  They were
definitely interesting, and I had not
seen anything like them before.  I drew them in the sketchbook,
and will probably do even more.

sheltongail@hotmail.com



No comments: